Stacks Image 2306
Stacks Image 548

Map
Directory
Route Finder

From 1923 onwards Lympne Aerodrome was home to the Lympne light aircraft trials and air races. In the 1930s it was the starting point for several long distance record flights, including a solo one to Cape Town by Amy Johnson in 1932, and also ones by her later-to-be husband Jim Mollison. Jean Batten later flew from Lympne to Darwin, beating Johnson's long-distance record, in 1934. The airport has now been closed and turned into an industrial estate

KENT - PLACES OF INTEREST | KENT - POINTS OF INTEREST | KENT - PEOPLE OF INTEREST

Whether you are looking for relaxation and the chance to unwind or for something more active including great hand's on fun for the younger family members then Kent is the place for you. With many award winning attractions featured together with the best known places to visit and many smaller less well known attractions.
Choose from enchanting gardens, historic houses, mysterious castles, cathedrals and country churches, fascinating museums, animal parks, steam trains, amazing maritime heritage and much more.
PLAN YOUR VISIT
Lympne Shopping
Stacks Image 13143
Nearby Hythe has a large selection of eating places, covering all four corners of our gastronomic globe to tempt even the most discerning connoisseur. Whether you want to relax over a cappuccino, enjoy a light lunch, have a fun family meal, or indulge in a taste sensation.
Check the Lympne Directory
Hythe History Room
Stacks Image 13096
An interesting local museum covering the history of Hythe, situated next to the Town Council Offices in Oaklands. Access (no stairs) is via the Public Library through an entrance hall used as an arts / crafts gallery.
RHDR
Stacks Image 13105
Hythe is the northern terminus of the Romney, Hythe and Dymchurch Railway, running third-scale steam and diesel locomotives. The track runs parallel to coast through Dymchurch and New Romney to Dungeness. The founders were Captain J Howey and Count Louis Zborowski. It opened in 1927. The trains run on a gauge of 15 inches (380 mm) in width, and the track is nearly 14 miles (23 km) long. During the Second World War the service transported the Operation Pluto pipeline.
Laurel & Hardy Video
Lympne - HG Wells
In H.G. Wells's 1901 novel First Men in the Moon, the English narrator Bedford — the sole survivor of the Moon expedition — attempting to land the antigravity sphere anywhere on Earth, has the good fortune to land it on the seashore at Lympne, reasonably close to his departure point. A local boy enters the antigravity sphere without Bedford's permission, and accidentally activates it ... sending himself and the sphere into space, never to return.
Lympne Village
Lympne has a Village Hall, a Village shop, Hairdresser and Public House (The County Members), as well as a village football team, LVFC (Lympne Village Football Club).
Lympne straddles the B2067 road from Hythe, Kent to Aldington, Hamstreet and Tenterden. The nearest railway station is at Westenhanger. Lympne is also well-known for John Aspinal's Port Lympne Zoo, which occupies the ridge of hills upon which the village stands. Nearby Newingreen is reputedly the site of England's first motel on the A20.
Hythe Farmers Market
Stacks Image 13299
Nearby, Hythe's market once took place in Market Square (now Red Lion Square) close to where there is now a Farmers' Market every second and fourth Saturday of the month.
Lympne Castle
Stacks Image 13124
St. Stephen's church and Lympne Castle overlook Romney Marsh, the church being significantly older, and close by Lympne Hill figures in the Doctor Syn stories.
Royal Military Canal
Stacks Image 13133
Take time out on a crisp sunny day and stroll alongside the Royal Military Canal, one of Kent’s famous pieces of local history. Discover its wildlife, beauty and past on a walking route in Hythe.

The Royal Military Canal runs across the northern edge of the marsh, to Winchelsea. Running under Stade Street, the canal, intended to repel invasion during the Napoleonic wars of 1804 to 1815, gives central Hythe its character. Now shaded by trees, the canal, 30 feet (10m) wide passes into the marsh from the middle of the town. The canal begins at Seabrook and runs through Hythe and across Romney Marsh to Winchelsea. Its 26-mile length can be walked.
Electric Boat Trip Video
Dining in Lympne
Whether you want to relax over a cappuccino, enjoy a light lunch, have a fun family meal or indulge in a taste sensation, Kent caters for every occasion.
customer service that just can’t be found on the high street.
Check the Lympne Directory
Brockhill Country Park
Stacks Image 13155
t was previously once part of a large estate, dating back to Norman times. The old manor house is adjacent to the park. This was once Brockhill Park, now used as the main building of Brockhill Park Performing Arts College. The estate is connected with the Tourney family, until the death of the eccentric William Tourney Tourney (the last Lord of Brockhill Manor) in 1903. Who seems to have a reputation for world travel and oddness as well as gaining an extra Tourney (to his name!). Upon his death, he is said to have ordered that his constant companions, his dog and his horse, were to be killed and buried with him. The grave of the dog is next to William's on an island in the middle of one of the lakes, that are now part in Brockhill Country Park.
See Map for Directions
Port Lympne
Stacks Image 13167
Lympne
The Romans called Lympne it in their forthright fashion Portus Lemantus, and built one of their main Shore forts there to discourage raiders from sailing up the river Limen (now Rother) and indulging their piratical taste for the old Nordic pursuits of pillage, rape, and arson.
After the Romans left, the port silted up and the once major town declined to become a very minor village indeed. SIC TRANSIT GLORIA MUNDI (as the Romans would probably have said if they had known about it). However, in AD 892 the channel was still open and a great Danish force of 250 ships sailed into the river Limen and rowed up to The Weald, stopping only to overcome very inadequate opposition at Appledore and make that their own base for a sustained campaign.
Today's memorials to the great days of Lympne include the Shepway (shipway) cross on top of Lympne Hill and lower down the remains of the old Roman fort, now called Stutfall castle, which lie in tumbled ruins where centuries of landslides on the old shoreline cliff face have left them.

Lympne Castle and church are still there and no doubt both played their part in secreting smuggled goods brought up under cover of darkness from the Romney Marsh beaches below. Once, when an old pew was removed from the chancel inside the church, a chamber was uncovered which was at once identified as a hiding place for tubs of Hollands or other un-Customed wares.

The castle today owes much to the restoration carried out by Sir Robert Lorimer, the Scottish architect, at the beginning of the 20th century. He restored it from threatened ruination and made it into the single large house that it is today.

Visitors to the castle can climb up to the concrete room which was built as an observation post during WW2, and also go up to the ramparts and enjoy the view over the Marsh. The ramparts are supposed to be haunted by the spirit of a Roman soldier which cannot bring itself to desert his look-out post, and their are other ghosts reputed to be associated with the old castle, too.

More popular than either the castle of the church is lovely old Port Lympne, where the late John Aspinal's open house for the thousands of visitors to the mansion, its fifteen acres of terraced gardens and three hundred acres of parkland in which he has established his sanctuary for free-ranging exotic wildlife as an extension to his private zoo at Howletts, near Bekesbourne.

The mansion at Port Lympne was begun by Sir Herbert Baker for Sir Philip Sassoon just before the outbreak of WW1, and the gardens which are now rich with mature trees and shrubs and weathered stone and brickwork are as breathtaking as the climb up the hillside wildlife park.
Shepway Cross
Stacks Image 13208
A monumental cross now indicates what was from 1358 a meeting place of the confederation of the Cinque ports, several miles west of Hythe, known then as "the Shepway crossroads". Shepway cross, erected in 1923, the monument to the Court of Shepway, is beside the Hythe to Lympne road (B2067).
The lathe of Shepway was the Saxon name for south east Kent, roughly corresponding with the modern District of Shepway, comprising Folkestone, Hythe, Romney Marsh and nearby villages as far north as Elham.
Many think this monument marks where the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports held his court for Shepway, and it is referred to as the “Shepway Cross”. In fact the Shepway Cross is a civic war memorial erected in 1923. It was placed on the top of Lympne Hill because that was traditionally the site of the Court of Shepway.
Shepway Cross was paid for and unveiled in August 1923 by Earl Beauchamp, the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. The Archbishop of Canterbury, Randall Davidson, attended the ceremony. The memorial now shows signs of decay. The lettering denoting the monument's true purpose is hardly legible.
Stacks Image 13213
Stacks Image 13225


Sites of Special Scientific Interest (SSSIs) in Kent, England. In England the body responsible for designating SSSIs is Natural England, which chooses a site because of its fauna, flora, geological or physiographical features. As of 2008, there are 98 sites designated in this Area of Search, of which 67 have been designated due to their biological interest, 21 due to their geological interest and 10 for both.

Below is a "Where's the path?" link to map pages of each area of Special Scientific interest in Kent. Here you will be able to view various maps of each location including Aerial, Satellite, Dual View, old Ordnance Survey maps, Cycle routes and much more.

Lympne Escarpment

The site consists of a steep escarpment of Kentish ragstone formed by the Hythe Beds of the Lower Greensand. Ragstone is a hard sandy limestone which produces calcareous soils. The grassland and woodland of this site are among the best remaining examples of semi-natural habitats on ragstone in Kent. Wet ash- maple is the predominant woodland type with a small area of calcareous ash- wych elm wood. Many plants usually associated with chalk soils occur in the grassland. The south-facing slope is close to the sea and the resulting mild humid conditions encourages the growth of ferns and mosses. Numerous springs and flushes occur at the base of the escarpment at the junction of the ragstone and the Atherfield Clay.
Lympne Park Wood is the largest remaining example of ash coppice woodland on the ragstone escarpment. It is thought to be of ancient origin with a long history of woodland cover. Most of the wood is ash, field-maple and hazel coppice with oak and ash standards. Wych elm is present in a small area in the south-east corner. Many of the mature elms have been killed by Dutch elm disease but some saplings have survived. The calcareous nature of the soil is shown by the presence of shrubs such as spindle Euonymus europaeus, wayfaring-tree Viburnum lantana and privet Ligustrum vulgare. The ground flora is mostly dominated by brambles Rubus fruticosus but other plants present include stinking iris Iris foetidissima, early-purple orchid Orchis mascula and common spotted orchid Dactylorhiza fuchsii.
Outcrops of ragstone are frequent on the upper slopes of the escarpment. The vegetation here is dominated by grasses such as fescues Festuca species cock’s- foot Dactylis glomerata, false oat-grass Arrhenatherum elatius and tor-grass Brachypodium pinnatum. Grazing helps to minimise a diverse flowering plant community including cowslips Primula veris, carline thistle Carlina vulgaris and hound’s-tongue Cynoglossum officinale which are associated with calcareous soils. Due to the high humidity of the area wood sedge Carex sylvatica and stinking iris, species usually restricted to woods, are able to grow in the open grassland.
Past landslips have produced much scree at the foot of the escarpment and the grassland here is dominated by tor-grass. The marshy ground below the springline has tall herb vegetation including plants such as great horsetail Equisetum telemateia, great willowherb Epilobium hirsutum, ragged-robin Lychnis flos-cuculi and water figwort Scrophularia auriculata.
Where's the path? Use the link below.
Lympne Escarpment Maps
More Sites of Special Scientific Interest in Kent

Kent Tourism Guides & Maps - Click to View

My Image

Romney-Marsh-Churches

My Image

Royal-Military-Canal

My Image

Romney, Hythe & Dymchurch Railway Timetable 2015

My Image

Battle_Guide

Kent Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages
Kent Place Names
Stacks Image 6517
If you have wandered through the Kent Downs whether on foot, by horse, bicycle or car will have, at one time or another, pondered over the meaning of place names of towns , villages or hamlets that we normally take for granted in our everyday lives. Places such as Pett Bottom, Bigbury and Bobbing conjure up all manner of intriguing images as to the activities of former inhabitants, while others such as Whatsole Street, Smersole or Hartlip appear completely baffling.
Although most place names may appear at first sight to be random elements of words thrown together in no particular order, most are surprisingly easy to decipher with some elementary grounding in Old English. Over the centuries most of the Old English words have themselves corrupted and changed to appear as we know them today.
Kent Place Names
Kentish Dialect
Stacks Image 6654
Modern Kentish dialect shares many features with other areas of south-east England (sometimes collectively called "Estuary English"). Other characteristic features are more localised. For instance some parts of Kent, particularly in the north west of the county, share many features with broader Cockney.

A Dictionary of the Kentish Dialect and Provincialisms: in use in the county of Kent' by W.D.Parish and W.F.Shaw (Lewes: Farncombe,1888)
'The Dialect of Kent: being the fruits of many rambles' by F. W. T. Sanders (Private limited edition, 1950). Every attempt was made to contact the author to request permission to incorporate his work without success. His copyright is hereby acknowledged.
Kentish Dialect
Kent Parishes

Kent Parishes
Transcribed from The Comprehensive Gazetteer of England and Wales 1894 -1895

LYMPNE PARISH

Lympne, a village and a parish in Kent. The village stands on a scarp of hills, overlooking Romney Marsh, at the end of Stone Street, near the Royal Military Canal, 2 miles SSW of Westenhanger station on the S.E.R., 1 1/2 mile NW of the coast at Fort Moncrief, and 3 miles W of Hythe, took its name from the river Limene, Lemanis, or Lymne, which anciently ran close to it; was the Port Lemanis or Portus Lemainanus of the Romans; was known at Domesday as Limes, and is now a very small place. It has a post office under Hythe; money order office, Hythe; telegraph office, Stanford. Acreage of the civil parish, 2916; population, 493 ; of the ecclesiastical, 685. The river Limene greatly changed its course, and is believed to be the Rother, which now enters the sea at Rye. A harbour was on it close to the site of the village in the time of the Romans, and hence the name Portus Lemanis. A Roman station stood adjacent to the harbour, covered or inclosed about 10 acres, continued long to be a place of great strength, suffered much injury from landslips and other physical agencies which changed the course of the river; suffered injury also by the removal of stones from it as building material for the church; took eventually the name of Studfall, signifying " a fallen place;" and is now represented by fragments large enough to show the great thickness of its walls, and including the stump of a tower 10 feet high and 45 in circumference. The station is thought to have been a reconstruction by the Romans, as the remains of it include many stones which appear to have belonged to earlier buildings. Excavations were made in 1850, and coins of several emperors, tiles, pottery, glass, and keys were then found.
A spot called Shepway Cross, about half a mile from the village at the top of the hill toward West Hythe, was long the place where the Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports was sworn in, and where his courts were held. The neighbourhood of the village commands a very fine seaward view. The parish contains also the hamlet of Court-at-Street The living is a vicarage, united with the vicarage of West Hythe, in the diocese of Canterbury; value, £273 with residence. Patron, the Archdeacon of Canterbury. The church has Norman portions, includes stones taken from the Roman station, has a tower, and was restored at a great expense in 1877-78. A castellated house adjoins the church, is said to have been erected by Archbishop Lanfranc, really shows characters of the Edwardian period, and was probably a watch-tower built in lieu of the fallen towers of the Roman fortress. An ancient chapel stood near Court-at-Street, was visited by the pilgrims from Canterbury in the time of A'Becket, and is now a ruin.
More Kent Parishes

KENTPOI
Kent - Places of Interest | Kent - Points of Interest | Kent - People of Interest

About Us
Kentpoi is a free resource.
We seek to offer our visitors something entertaining, interesting and relevant every time they visit this website.

We are constantly updating the content of this website based on the feedback from our audience.

Advertise on this website?

Target Specific Advertising

Terms & Conditions

Terms & Conditions

Privacy Policy

Privacy Policy

Contact
Our Friends
Stacks Image 3369

Kentculture - Promoting Talent
Kentculture

Stacks Image 3373

Website designed and maintained by Themeweavers

Kent Tourism Brochures
Kent Interactive Maps
Kent Towns & Villages